I think there’s something so Australian about a beach picnic to make the most of our gorgeous summer days. It’s no surprise that I love picnics. I’m not sure what it is, but eating outdoors in a new place (or a favourite place) is really special. Sydney – you gorgeous city, you – is rich in beautiful picnic spots, though my current favourites are the insanely beautiful harbour beaches that are conveniently within walking distance of my house. My housemate and I often make a few sandwiches, bring a bottle of wine and head down to the beach for a spontaneous sunset picnic and a quick dip in the ocean. It makes me happy.
Australia Day is next weekend and if the weather is good that’s definitely where you’ll find me. I made these little prawn sliders on the weekend and it got me thinking that they’d be perfect to take along on your next picnic. I could ramble for hours about perfect picnic foods, but I think you can’t go wrong with a sandwich. They’re portable, easy to eat and endlessly adaptable. Mine had some fresh Aussie prawns with a delicious lemon and fennel slaw.
I think these little sliders can go seamlessly from beach picnic to dinner party, and would make a great appetiser too. I love the slaw most of all – it is crunchy and fresh, with a hint of sweetness from the apple and a light creamy buttermilk dressing. Fennel goes so well with many different things, which gives you options, so here are a couple of ways you could mix it up:
- Try it with other seafood like lobster, shredded crab or smoked salmon
- Make a variation on the slaw with shredded carrots and a lime and fish sauce dressing
- Use large bread rolls instead of slider buns for a more substantial lunch
- You could also use poached chicken instead of prawns. Delicious!
- Add some homemade zucchini pickles. I think the acidity would work really well with the slaw.
- 1/4 white cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 small fennel, thinly sliced
- 1 apple, cut into thin matchsticks
- Half a bunch of chives, cut into 1cm lengths
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 200ml buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons whole egg mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon mild mustard of your choice
- Salt, pepper to taste
- 400g fresh cooked prawns, peeled and cleaned
- 8 small slider buns
- Fennel fronds, to garnish