Have you decided what your summer tipple will be this year? Last summer was all about the Pimms Cup for me, the one before that I sipped cider, but this year I have a new favourite. There is something that I just love about jugs of cocktails, both while out and about, and definitely for entertaining at home. I love how easy they are to make for a crowd and the endless variations you can come up with. Today I want to share a nice and fruity White Wine Sangria, which is looking very promising to be the drink of this summer.
Perfect on a hot afternoon, or when you have friends around for a casual dinner, this drink ticks all the boxes. Simple to make, festive and summery, customisable depending what you have in the fridge, and of course delicious! I used a combination of apple slices, lemon, lime and strawberries but you can use any fruit you like. I can imagine that slices of peach, or even some fresh lychees would be just lovely.
The lovely folk at Jacobs Creek sent me out a sample of their new range of Cool Harvest wines, the grapes are harvested in the cool of night to create a cool, crisp drop for a hot summer, perfect for sharing with friends at picnics and BBQ’s during the warmer months. I thought the Pinot Grigio was perfect for this refreshing Sangria, although I also loved the tasty Shiraz Rosé. And because it is the season, there are presents for you dear readers too!
This competition is now closed
I’ve got three sets of the Jacobs Creek Cool Harvest range to give away to three lucky readers, just in time for Christmas and summer entertaining!
Each prize includes a bottle of each of the following:
• Jacob’s Creek Cool Harvest Sauvignon Blanc 2011. Refreshing and zesty balance of lychee, lemongrass and citrus. The palate shows lovely balanced acidity which is vibrant to the finish. Delightful on its own or with soufflés, Thai curries or any citrus based dessert.
• Jacob’s Creek Cool Harvest Pinot Grigio 2011. Refreshing and zesty pear and citrus flavours balanced by nuances of crème anglaise to finish. Delightful on its own or with any form of shellfish or a great match to fresh fruit desserts.
• Jacob’s Creek Cool Harvest Shiraz Rosé 2011. Bursting with fresh berry fruit, reminiscent of biting into a summer strawberry, followed by a gentle finish of nicely tempered spice and quince. Delightful on its own or with coconut based curries, stir fries or berry crepes.
• Jacob’s Creek Cool Harvest Sauvignon Blanc Cuvée NV. Refreshingly effervescent with zesty flavours of lychee, lemongrass and citrus carried through by a vibrant acidity to the finish. Delightful on its own or with soufflés or citrus-based desserts.
If you are over 18 and an Australian resident, all you have to do is tell me what is your favourite summer tipple? The three winners will be picked at random and announced on 19th December. Winners will be notified in a post on the blog and by email, so sorry but no anonymous entries will be eligible. Good luck!
White Wine Sangria
Adapted from Sip Your Style
• 200ml white wine (I used Jacobs Creek Cool Harvest Pinot Grigio)
• 400ml cloudy apple juice
• 50ml bourbon whisky (optional)
• Ginger beer
• Garnish: strawberries, lime wedges, lemon wedges and apple slices
In a 1L jug, combine white wine, apple juice and bourbon. Add fruit garnishes, top with ice and ginger beer. Stir well and serve.