While I love making elaborate meals when friends come over for dinner, when I’m cooking for myself I like to keep things super simple and relatively healthy. I love writing this Simple Dinners column every month, because it allows me to either try brand new things in search of easy weeknight meals, or to share dishes that have become my favourites over the last few months.
I’ve made this salad a lot because it’s so quick and delicious. The flavour combination works really well, and it’s filling but not heavy. With Australia Day coming up and a long, lazy weekend on the way, I’ve had this recipe on the brain and thought it was a perfect time to share it here.
To me, this is a perfect fresh, modern Aussie salad that you could cook on the BBQ, or serve at room temperature on a picnic. It’s gluten free and has no carbs, so you can definitely justify an extra serving of pavlova ice cream or lamingtons for dessert 😉
Here are a few ways to mix it up…
- It’s a great way to use leftover roast lamb or even beef
- Serve this salad with grilled lamb cutlets on top instead of the sliced lamb
- Mix in cooked cous cous or quinoa for a more substantial meal
- Use grilled haloumi instead of the lamb to make it vegetarian friendly
- Try baby cos lettuce if you don’t love the peppery taste of rocket
- Marinate the lamb in different spices – cumin, sumac and chilli would be delicious
- I used goats fetta this time, but normal fetta is also a winner
- A lemon mint vinaigrette would definitely be tasty!
- If asparagus isn’t in season, try blanched broccolini or green beans
For other Aussie recipes, click here.
Serves 2 as a meal, or 4 as a side dish
- 100g mixed rocket and baby spinach leaves
- 1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed
- 3/4 cup frozen baby peas
- 375g lamb sirloin (I like this cut because it’s very lean and has a great flavour)
- 90g goats milk fetta (or regular fetta if you prefer)
- Handful of mint leaves, roughly chopped
- Salt & pepper
- Olive oil & vinegar