I definitely have a love/hate relationship with winter. I love coats, scarves, boots, scotch, red wine and winter comfort food, but I seriously dislike rain, wind and cold – all of which we have unfortunately had in abundance! It’s been a while since I made one of these lists, so I thought it was time to get my grateful on and share a few things that have been making me happy lately…
• epic birthday festivities • a pledge for this year – do fun shit! • lots and lots red wine • my favourite new apple toy • planning my america trip (new york, san francisco, los angeles and honolulu – only 2 weeks away!) • the xx • this view • slumber parties with the girls • chantelle grady’s amazing photography • sunny winter days • polka dots and red lipstick (again) • scotch on cold nights • dreaming about visiting morocco (thanks to kay) • epic homemade lasagne • searching for a turquoise couch • writing a 30 before 30 list • warm winter desserts!
A few people (you know who you are) were sceptical about this combination when I mentioned it, but I never had a doubt that it would turn out beautifully. It just feels perfect for this time of year. Self saucing puddings are a favourite of mine if you haven’t noticed. They’re so easy to make, and of course I couldn’t resist boozing it up. I used Coopers Extra Stout, which has chocolate and coffee aromas, making it a perfect match.
I reduced the stout to a syrup to really concentrate the flavour, and although it was noticeable, it was quite subtle in both the pudding and the ice cream. Feel free to adjust the ratio of boiling water to stout syrup in the recipe below if you’re a big fan!
- 2 bottles (375ml) Stout (I used Coopers Extra Stout)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 180g dark chocolate, melted
- Half of the Stout syrup, cooled completely
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups thickened cream (35% fat), whipped to soft peaks
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 2 tablespoons quality cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 50g butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, extra
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 cup boiling water
- Other half of the Stout syrup, cooled completely