It’s been a less than awesome week, but I hate to come here and complain. So instead, I’m going to make a list of all the things that have been making me happy lately and hopefully that will make me feel a little better!
• jacaranda trees in bloom everywhere • green juice • a new rooftop BBQ (more on this soon) • fluffy hotel robes • chocolate covered almonds • mojitos • finding time to read • morning walks • philosophy’s birthday cake lip gloss • pinning apartment decorating ideas • our travel bucket list • old playlists that are still awesome • seeing summer stone fruit starting to appear at the market • I’m uncharacteristically excited about Christmas this year • cocktails in jugs • new cookbooks • discovering a lovely little homewares shop in Mornington • homemade pizza • the pierces • turquoise nail polish • strawberries • blueberries • raspberries!
I don’t bake cupcakes nearly enough these days, but I still love how easy and delicious they are, not to mention how quickly they disappear whenever I do make them! The summer berries have been fabulous so far this spring and I had to show them off in a fruity little cake. Buttermilk is my secret weapon when it comes to cakes these days, I will not make a chocolate cake without it! If you’re after a moist, fluffy, vanillary cake, this is it. A whole tablespoon of vanilla extract might sound like a lot, but it’s the perfect amount for these cakes.
Cream cheese icing is still my favourite, so I may be biased but I think it was a perfect match to the cake and the berries inside and on top. Here’s hoping things start to get a little less crazy soon, but in the meantime, cupcakes help! Hope everyone has a sweet weekend xx
PS: all of you should go over to Raspberri Cupcakes and wish Steph a happy birthday today!!
• 230g unsalted butter, softened
• 330g caster sugar
• 3 eggs
• 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
• 300g plain flour, sifted
• 150g self-raising flour, sifted
• 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda, sifted
• 350ml buttermilk
• 200g fresh berries (a combination of raspberries and blueberries), plus extra for decorating
Cream Cheese Icing
• 250g cream cheese
• 1 cup icing sugar (confectioner’s sugar)
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 160°C (400°F). Beat butter and sugar in an electric mixer until creamy. Add eggs one at a time, then add vanilla extract. Meanwhile, sieve flours and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl with a pinch of salt. With mixer on low speed, add a third of the flour mixture and beat until just combined.Add half the buttermilk and beat until just combined. Repeat with remaining dry ingredients and buttermilk, adding in batches until incorporated. Gently fold in the berries and divide between cupcake cases.
Bake until a skewer inserted into the center of cupcake comes out clean (about 15-20 minutes.) Allow to cool completely.To make the icing, combine ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until smooth. Spread icing over the top of cupcakes and decorate with fresh berries.